It seems like an eternity since I’ve posted an update on the progress of our home. To be honest, when we first moved in, there was quite a flurry of activity and projects. And then…things came to a stop for some reason. I suppose once the house was liveable, I just sat back and figured I would finish the projects when I got inspired.
But today I’m back with a little tour of my home office. Let’s start with one of the most important parts: the desk. Back in 2009, I purchased an expansive table top/trestle leg combo at IKEA to be my desk. It’s similar to the Linnmon table top and Finnvard trestle legs now being sold there. I was simply looking for a large desk with a lot of writing space; I wasn’t concerned with the color combination at the time. But I wanted a “big girl” office in our new house, and white furniture was more desirable. What to do? I thought about getting rid of the desk, but then decided it would be much better to attempt painting the current one. Since the trestle legs are technically not solid wood, I had to research a bit to see how to paint them successfully.
We purchased a pot of Glidden Gripper primer and painted the trestle legs and the border of the desk top to start. Then, we finished it all off with two coats of Rust-Oleum’s Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover in white semi-gloss. Is it absolutely perfect? Probably not…painting non-solid wood IKEA furniture is a bit of a doozy. However, I really think it turned out great, and it looks DARN good in the space. Plus – the price of two small cans of paint is definitely more palatable to purchasing a brand new desk.
Did you notice the pretty floor underneath the desk? Back in December, we made a little discovery beneath the carpet in the room – the floor was hardwood! Alas, once all of the carpet was pulled up it was clear there was water damage to the wood. In the end, the floor was replaced with this pretty bamboo! It’s supposed to be very durable, and I really like the texture.
It started with a few seed packets and seed starter greenhouse kit.
When we moved into our new home, one of the prospects I was most excited about was starting a garden. Since we’d been living in apartments for years, it had never been much of a possibility. But with our fenced in yard, our garden was a go!
It started with a storm.
Late last summer, a storm ran through our part of town. It wasn’t unusual by any means, but my in-laws’ backyard was unlucky enough to suffer a blow by lightning. A tree outside was struck: thankfully it didn’t fall down and damage anything, but the state it was left in necessitated its removal from the yard.
That’s when the lightbulb went off in my head. We were having Sunday lunch at my in-laws’ house and they were telling me about the tree/pointing it out in the yard. The wheels began turning in my brain. I asked if I could go outside to look at it, and after assessing the width and appearance of the tree, I turned to my father-in-law and asked him if I could have it. I’m pretty sure he thought I was crazy at that point, but I had a plan for that tree. A plan that took months to complete, but was absolutely worth it in the end. You see – I wanted that tree to become an end table for our new house. And I knew I could convince my dear husband to help me with it. So, shortly after I secured the tree as mine, Justin spent a Saturday afternoon with a chainsaw, cutting it down to size.
It’s been a while since I gave an update on our house progress. Today, we’re venturing into the bedroom for some much needed paint!
Picking the paint color actually proved to be a more difficult process for me than selecting our living/dining/kitchen color. I knew I wanted to go with a shade of blue: but which shade exactly? I didn’t want baby blue, I didn’t want it to be too dark, and I wanted it to complement our existing bedspread. I started with two samples I thought would be pretty (the top two on the right). Turns out that the swatch on the far right, although pretty, was too much like baby blue (Harbor Haze by Benjamin Moore), and the other (center top) was gorgeous, but we thought would be too dark for the entire room. Never fear: I ended up using that hue in my office and in our master bathroom! I love love love it, just not for our bedroom.
So, I returned to the paint store and found one more swatch (on the bottom)…thinking I’d found a winner. Nope. It turned out to be WAY too light. Dang it. At that point, I was getting quite frustrated. Then, one morning my mom swung by the house with a touch up can of paint. My parents had used Sherwin Williams’ Rainwashed in one of their bathrooms and my mom thought it might be the right hue I was seeking for our bedroom. So, I painted a sample on the wall (the far left), and voila! Paint: decided.