January 12, 2014

Today happens to be a celebratory occasion. Sunday Supper is turning two! Isn’t it funny how time flies by sometimes? I’ve been a part of the Sunday Supper community for over a year (almost a year and a half), and it has been a wonderful experience. I remember the first time I was introduced to Sunday Supper – it was at a dinner Isabel was putting together at a local restaurant. She invited me to join up, and the very next week I participated in my first event. It has been such a pleasure to come together on Sundays to share recipes, connect with fellow food lovers, and get into the weekly theme as well! I always look forward to seeing what everyone will share each week.

Frozen chocolate covered banana pops

The recipe I want to share today seems perfect for a birthday celebration. The bright colors and frozen goodness call out to you, don’t they? I am known to indulge in dessert each night before bed. Typically, it involves frozen yogurt, but I’ve been looking to some alternatives recently. These banana pops do the trick! Yes, there is chocolate involved, but you’re eating a banana, so that makes it better, right? Plus, they are a cinch to put together.

Frozen chocolate covered banana pops

Frozen banana pops are not only great for adults, but they are very kid friendly as well. I made a batch for the first grade classes at my school, and almost every single child was excited about them. Definitely a win on all counts!

Have you tried frozen banana pops before? What did you think?

Frozen chocolate covered banana pops

Frozen Chocolate Dipped Banana Pops

***One banana makes three pops***

Ingredients

Bananas

Wood popsicle sticks

White chocolate bark, or chocolate for melting

Rainbow sprinkles (or other sprinkles of choice)

Food coloring

Wax paper

Instructions

1. Peel a banana, then slice into three equal pieces. Insert a popsicle stick into the end of one side of each banana piece.

2. Melt chocolate according to package instructions. When melted, stir in drops of food coloring until desired color is achieved. Hold a banana pop by the stick and gently twirl the banana over the chocolate until it is evenly coated. Place the chocolate covered pop on a sheet of wax paper and immediately sprinkle with jimmies (you could also fill a shallow dish with sprinkles and roll the pop in them).

3. Place finished banana pops in the freezer for at least one hour before serving. Enjoy!

~~~~~

Make sure you check out what the other folks at Sunday Supper are bringing to the birthday celebration!

Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:

Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:

Spectacular Soups and Salads:

Enticing Entrees:

Decadent Desserts:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Sunday Supper Logo

33 Responses to “Frozen Chocolate Dipped Banana Pops for #SundaySupper”

1. Those are so cool! Our banana tree is having some fruits on and I have been contemplating already what I could turn them into before the monkeys come. I would like your frozen banana pops. =)

2. Smart idea for better nighttime snacking!

I have loved being a part of Sunday Supper, and cooking along with everyone each week.
    Cheers to another great year!

• Katie says:

I am so bad about nighttime snacking. I have to have something sweet about an hour or two before bed….it’s ingrained in my system!

3. Jennifer B says:

Pretty!! I love the sprinkles! I agree that fruit desserts don’t count as bad calories. ;)

4. Liz
    Twitter: thatskinnychick
    says:

Oh, YUM! I could down a whole slough of these babies! So glad you are celebrating with us today…and that you’re one of the lovely SS members I’ve actually met :) Hope to see you again soon!!! xo

5. Katy says:

These are so cute and festive, sure to brighten any celebration! Plus they will hit my sweet cravings perfectly! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

6. What a perfect treat for a birthday celebration! Thank you for being part of the #SundaySupper Family! Love that we live so close that we can actually celebrate in person.

7. Shannon says:

How silly that I’ve never made these yet I get them all the time when we go out for ice cream! Can’t wait to try your spin on them.

8. oh my gosh, my kids would love this!!! Need to try this ASAP! Cheers to two years! woot woot!

9. My husband thinks it so strange that I’ll eat frozen banana chunks straight out of the fridge. They’re the perfect way to satisfy a sweet tooth. Dipping them in chocolate sounds awesome!

• Katie says:

They definitely satisfy the craving for ice cream I think! The texture is somewhat similar when frozen…at least I think so!

10. Cheryl says:

I’ve never tried banana pop before! Who knew what I was missing, these look yummy, and I bet my kids will love them! Thanks so much for this fun contribution to the #SundaySupper Birthday! HUGS!

11. Soni says:

Ooh I cannot wait to make these for my kids!!They look just perfect for our birthday celebration :) Thanks Katie and its been a pleasure cooking with you!

12. taranoland says:

Those are brilliant!! I will be making these for sure!!

13. Laura Dembowski
    Twitter: piesandplots
    says:

Love these healthy treats! The sprinkles make them perfect for a celebration!

14. Shaina says:

These are so cute and festive! Sprinkles make everything better :)

15. What a treat! My wee girl would LOVE these, another reason to pine for warm weather.

16. I love frozen banana pops and never make them at home. After seeing all the colorful sprinkles that must change!

17. Laura says:

Oh this gives me a great idea for an activity to do with my toddler.

18. Courtney @ Neighborfood
    Twitter: neighborfoodie
    says:

These are so freaking fun! And so easy and festive too! Also, just saw your panda cupcakes and they are ADORABLE.

19. Renee says:

What pretty treats! And about one of the most wonderful ways to enjoy a banana.

20. I’ve always seen these pops with the brown chocolate shell. The white chocolate makes it look so much more appetizing! And of course it ain’t a party without sprinkles! Awesome!

21. Sarah says:

I used to make something similar as an after school snack – delicious!

22. […] Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops from Ruffles & Truffles […]