May 26, 2013

Can someone tell me how it is almost June? JUNE!

Shandy Popsicles

I tell you what – I can’t walk outside for more than two minutes without breaking into a sweat. Oh Florida heat, you have officially become overwhelming. Thankfully, there are always answers for how to beat the heat…and frozen treats are definitely one of them for me. With the long Memorial Day weekend in full swing, I thought I’d whip up a batch of “adult” popsicles to enjoy for a Sunday Supper picnic!

Shandy Popsicles

I’m not much of a beer drinker, but I’ve discovered that I really do enjoy drinking a shandy (beer + lemonade). The flavor combination is fresh and light; perfect for summer! So I thought to myself: what could make that shandy even better? If I froze it into popsicle form, that’s what! So I did…and added raspberries to half of the batch. Oh, the deliciousness. These popsicles (or should I say “beersicles?”) are perfect to enjoy by the pool, at a picnic, or in the comfort of your air conditioned home…it doesn’t really matter which.

Shandy Popsicles

Now, if you have some little ones that would like their own popsicles during your Memorial Day picnic/barbeque/get together, I would simply omit the beer in the recipe and double the lemonade to make some raspberry lemonade pops – still delicious!

Have you ever created homemade popsicles? What flavors did you incorporate?

Shandy Popsicles

Shandy Popsicles with Raspberries

***makes approximately 6 popsicles***

Ingredients

12 oz light beer (I used Leinenkugel’s Canoe Paddler)

12 oz lemonade

1/2 cup raspberries (I used frozen)

popsicle molds

Instructions

1. Place 1/2 cup of raspberries in a blender or food processer and pulse until they are chopped into tiny chunks (or if you prefer, pureed). Pour the beer and the lemonade into the blender and pulse a few additional times to combine.

2. Use a funnel or measuring cup with a spout to pour the popsicle mixture into the popsicle molds. Place in the freezer for 4 hours or more, until popsicles are completely frozen.

3. Enjoy on a hot summer day!

~~~~~

Make sure you check out the other delicious offerings created by the Sunday Supper group!!!

Salads and Slaws:

Sandwiches and Mains:

Desserts:

Drinks:

36 Responses to “Shandy Popsicles with Raspberries for #SundaySupper”

1. Katy says:

These popsicles look great! Definitely a way to beat the heat of summer! Thank you for sharing :)

2. Now THIS is a popsicle I can get behind!

3. I really need to get some popsicle molds for the summer. My kids love popsicles but I hate buying them because it’s so difficult to find corn syrup free/ artificial dye free treats.

• Katie says:

Such a good point – and they’re not too hard to make at home, thankfully! I found these pop molds at HomeGoods for $6 (it makes 6 pops)!

4. Liz
    Twitter: thatskinnychick
    says:

Such a gorgeous, vibrant color! Perfect way to beat the heat :)

5. A perfect summertime treat, Katie!

6. Super cute photos of you and your dog! I’m not much of a beer drinker anymore but I’ll definitely take it with lemonade in frozen form. You’re absolutely brilliant for turning this into popsicles. Now I need to buy myself some molds!

7. I have never tried beer in a popsicle before, sounds interesting.

8. Adorable photos!!! And what a fun popsicle. I’ve never had a shandy before, and love your addition of raspberries in this version!

9. Megan says:

I’ve never had summer shandy before and am very intrigued now. I have to try these pops out! Awesome :)

• Katie says:

Ooh, you haven’t? They were doing a tasting of the Leinenkugel version at Total Wine the other day and I thought theirs was pretty tasty, but it’s just as easy to make your own as well…

10. Tara says:

I bet those are so good. I have to tell my neighbor about them as she is a huge Shandy fan. My girlfriend loves them also and even named their dog Shandy!!

11. Nice, they look super good.

12. Very fun and creative popsicle, Katie. Love the photos of you and the doggy, too =)

13. Shandy’s always make me think of my best friend from highschool. It was the only thing alcoholic her mom would touch :-)

14. This is a fantastic idea! I love Summer Shandy’s. Yum! And, what great pics. :)

15. I wasn’t familiar with a “shandy”. I bet the raspberry make this recipe pop! Thanks for sharing!

16. Camille says:

Very creative!! My sister loves shandy in the summer!

17. Heather @girlichef
    Twitter: girlichef
    says:

So, yeah. You may not know this about me, but I have a slight popsicle obsession. I’m almost ashamed to admit that I haven’t made one using beer yet! (for shame) …I love Leinie’s Shandy, though…polished off a six-pack that I found on sale for $4 the other week.

I hope you’ll drop by and share these with the 2nd annual “Summer of the Popsicle”, Katie! http://www.girlichef.com/2013/05/SummerOfThePopsicleTheReturn.html

18. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons
    Twitter: foxeslovelemons
    says:

Great idea! I just need to find some cheap popsicle molds, and I’m totally trying these!

19. It look like you had fun with this recipe. I love how creative your photos are. They sure do look refreshing!

20. Nicole says:

What a super unique popsicle. I’m in love. I need to make some of these “mom pops” for my house! haha None for the kids ;)

21. These popsicles are perfect for summer and look quite refreshing! Loved all the pictures, they are just adorable!

22. Susan says:

Love the photos of you and your dog! Popsicles are so great for the summer, although the beer snob in me still has trouble getting behind the shandy. I could do this with some Belgian fruit beer though!!! :-)

23. Renee says:

Beersickles? How cool! Now you have me thinking of winesickles. Awesome.

24. Very cute photos! Boozy popsicles?! LOVE this! looks great!

25. Now this is my idea of a popsicle! Looks like you made it fun too!! :)

26. […] Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles […]