May 5, 2013

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Are you ready to shake up some margaritas, scoop some guacamole, and partake in some tacos? I know I am. So, I already shared my recipes for classic guacamole and pineapple guacamole earlier this week. Today, I have one last guacamole version to add to your Cinco de Mayo party (or really, just any day in general).

Roasted Garlic and Bacon Guacamole

Since the pineapple guacamole is sweet, I decided moving toward a more savory version was a must. And I thought it might be a good idea to incorporate two other awesome ingredients: bacon…and garlic. I mean, you can’t go wrong with either of them, can you? I’ve become a huge fan of roasting garlic in my oven lately – there are a lot of uses for it aside from this guacamole! Have you tried it out yourself? Roasting the garlic in general makes your kitchen smell insanely good. I spread the roasted garlic on top of my pizza crusts quite often, I’ve added it to a white bean dip – oh yum! Heck, I’d even just eat the roasted garlic straight up on some bread with olive oil…oh garlic, how I love you. But enough about that…how about this roasted garlic and bacon guacamole? It might be my favorite use of roasted garlic to date.

Roasted Garlic and Bacon Guacamole

The flavor combo in this guacamole makes it almost impossible to stop eating. I’m not kidding. I made this dish before Justin got home the other day, and I had probably consumed about half of it before he walked in the door. I had no self control. I may or may not have announced that this was my favorite guacamole I’d ever made. And trust me: I’ve made many a batch of guacamole in my kitchen.

Roasted Garlic and Bacon Guacamole

When you decide to make a batch of this guac, I’d suggest roasting an entire head of garlic and using some for the guacamole, then the rest for another endeavor (store it in the fridge). I find it much easier to do that rather than roast individual cloves, but do what works for you!

So – what kinds of guacamole will you be making for Cinco de Mayo? Any special combinations of flavor?

Roasted Garlic and Bacon Guacamole

Roasted Garlic and Bacon Guacamole

Ingredients

2 ripe Hass avocados

1/4 cup onion, diced (I like using green onions)

1 tbsp (approx) fresh salsa

4 slices cooked bacon, chopped

5 roasted garlic cloves

juice from 1/4 of a lime

1/2 tsp garlic salt

1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

1 tbsp olive oil

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. If you are roasting an entire head of garlic, hold the bulb at the base and use a sharp knife to cut a small portion off the top, so the top of the cloves are exposed slightly. Place the head of garlic on a piece of tin foil and drizzle the tops of the exposed cloves with about 1tbsp of olive oil. Wrap the tin foil sheet tightly around the garlic and place in the oven. Roast for 45 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow garlic to cool.

2. Slice avocados in half, carefully remove pits and discard. Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a small bowl and discard the peel. Add onion, salsa, lime, roasted garlic cloves, and garlic salt. To remove the roasted garlic from the head, gently squeeze the individual cloves at the end closer to the base, moving toward the top. The roasted garlic should squeeze out of the top of the clove (where you cut it open) and should be a paste-like texture. You can add more or less garlic depending on your taste preference, but keep in mind that roasted garlic has a sweeter and milder flavor than raw garlic!

3. Using the tines of a fork, gently mash the ingredients until you reach desired texture. I like my guacamole to have small chunks of avocado present, but you can mash until completely smooth as well!

4. Gently stir in bacon pieces and cilantro, and serve. Enjoy!

~~~~~

Make sure you check out the other awesome Cinco de Mayo recipes from the Sunday Supper crew!

Cinco de Mayo Appetizers & Sides {Aperitivos}:

Cinco de Mayo Main Dishes {Platos Principales}:

Cinco de Mayo Desserts {Postres}:

Cinco de Mayo Drinks {Bebidas}:

46 Responses to “Roasted Garlic and Bacon Guacamole for #SundaySupper”

1. Katy says:

I love guacamole, and what a great pairing it makes with bacon! Lovely dish!

2. Ha ha I had to laugh, I LOVE the bacon in the pictures! I love the combination you used in your guacamole!

3. Bacon I’m there, Katie!

4. I don´t think there´s a word in the title that I don´t absolutely LOVE! Starting with roasted garlic, they´re one of the best things to add to everything.

5. Nicole says:

This is literally the guac of my dreams. Roasted Garlic, Bacon, Cilantro, Onion and of course much needed avocado…. all of my very favorite foods and flavors in one! Perfection Katie!

• Katie says:

Thanks for the kind words, Nicole! It’s good that I had my husband around to share it with me, because I honestly would have consumed the entire batch by myself if left unattended!

6. What a great idea! I have never thought to add bacon to my guac… love it!

7. I’m ready for some tacos, nachos, margaritas, and any other Mexican-inspired dish. This is some serious guac–love it!

8. Megan says:

Yum!!! I may add bacon to my guac next time I make lobster guac. Then all my favorites would be on one plate!

9. Jennifer B says:

What great items to mix with some guac (especially the bacon)! Since you made so much guacamole lately, what I’m wondering is: how many avocados did you have to go through?? lol

10. I can already see that this recipe will be a fav on Pinterest! As I have several avocados in the fridge right now, I’ll be making this and substituting the bacon for veggie bacon.

11. Bacon Guacamole?! Sign me up! Love your blog.

12. Bacon makes everything better. *drool*

13. Bea says:

Bacon in Guacamole? Yes, please :)

14. Liz
    Twitter: thatskinnychick
    says:

Oh, my. I now I have HUGE guacamole craving. Why are there no avocados in my house?????

15. Hezzi-D says:

now THIS is what I’m talking about! Bacon, garlic, and guacamole get 2 thumb up from me, yum!

16. Incredible combo!!! And what beautiful pics… love it!!! ;-)

17. Bacon in guacamole?! That’s just cheating! I’ll bet this is insanely good

18. I’m all about the garlic, the more the better! Bacon is a plus ;-)

19. That does sound like a delicious combo. I’m a big fan of roasted garlic too.

20. Roasted garlic?! Bacon?! Wow…this is spectacular!

21. oh my goodness! LOVE the idea of using roasted garlic here . uh, YUMMMMMM! Love this and your photos are beautiful!

22. Katie – yes, yes, yes!!! I love the avocado, I love the bacon, and I looooooove the roasted garlic. This is amazing and your photos are absolutely gorgeous. I’m dying over that strip of bacon tucked into the finished guacamole. Would it be wrong to eat the guac with only strips of bacon?

23. OMG! This is a must try!! Love the combinations you chose!! Mmmmmm….

24. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons
    Twitter: foxeslovelemons
    says:

I’m also obsessed with roasted garlic, so this is right up my alley! I’ve made a very similar “roasted” guacamole before, and I found out something interesting: if you roast the avocados as well (for just 10-15 minutes), they end up tasting the same, but they stay bright green forever. You mash them into guacamole, and they seriously don’t turn brown like regular guacamole. The roasting must break down some enzyme in them or something? I don’t know, but it was a little bit of kitchen magic that I had to pass along.

25. Laura Dembowski
    Twitter: piesandplots
    says:

Love guacamole and roasted garlic. I actually roast garlic every night! Of course, bacon is awesome too. And this is so perfect for summer!

26. Tara says:

WOW!! What a great guacamole!!

27. Oh my, yum!!! That looks so delicious!

28. Renee says:

Forget the chips, I could make a sandwich out of this guacamole. Oh. my. goodness. Amazing doesn’t quite describe it.

29. Food Service Warehouse
    Twitter: FSWarehouse
    says:

Oh my, this looks incredible! I can’t even fully fathom what this little glob of heaven tastes like. I’ll have to make this for sure, in the mean time I’ll just tell people about it so I’m not the only one with this craving!

30. […] Roasted Garlic and Bacon Guacamole from Ruffles & Truffles […]

31. […] from Gotta Get Baked Lobster Guacamole from I Run For Wine Roasted Garlic and Bacon Guacamole from Ruffles & Truffles Slow Cooker Chicken Con Queso from Daily Dish RecipesCinco de Mayo Main Dishes {Platos […]

32. Your Roasted Garlic and Bacon Guacamole is looking so yummy that it makes my mouth water I guess I’ll give it a try this weekend using enough of the Black Garlic.