Ruffles & Truffles

Grapefruit Flirtini recipe for #SundaySupper

Time to get your cocktail on!

Grapefruit Flirtini

The crew at Sunday Supper decided to tackle an oh so fun theme for this week: recipes inspired by movies!!! I knew there would be a ton of inspiration to draw from, so it was very difficult to select what I’d create. Amazing Italian food inspired by Eat Pray Love? Some green tomatoes (a la Fried Green Tomatoes)? Bouef Bourguignon inspired by Julie and Julia?

Grapefruit Flirtini

Inevitably, I thought it was time for a bit of a cocktail inspiration…and Sex & The City (the movie) came to mind, of course! Now, the classic Sex & The City cocktail is the Cosmopolitan, but I decided to stray from it a bit and create something a little bit different, but still with a somewhat girly pink color like the gals’ signature drink.

Grapefruit Flirtini

I present: the Grapefruit Flirtini. Or at least, that is what I’m calling it. I recently purchased a bottle of pink grapefruit vodka and have been experimenting with various uses for it. This is my favorite creation yet. You might already know that I’m a huge fan of champagne topped martinis, like the Bonefish Martini…so creating another version at home came naturally to me.

Grapefruit Flirtini

The Grapefruit Flirtini is tart yet not sugary sweet, and the addition of a champagne or sparkling wine topper make it just a little bit bubbly and definitely refreshing. Even though they look a little bit girly with their pink hue, you might find a man in your life reaching over for a few sips.

Grapefruit Flirtini

They’re even better when you garnish them with an orange rind knot. You can see a step by step tutorial of how I made them here. So easy, I promise!

The next time you have a ladies night with your best friends, definitely consider whipping up a batch of these Grapefruit Flirtinis. They’ll definitely be a fun addition to your evening!

What is your favorite type of martini to drink?

Grapefruit Flirtini

Grapefruit Flirtini

***Makes 2 cocktails***

Ingredients

2 oz. grapefruit vodka

2 oz cranberry juice

2 oz orange juice

Champagne or sparkling wine, to top

Instructions

1. In a cocktail shaker, combine vodka, cranberry juice, and orange juice. Add a generous amount of ice, close the shaker, and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.

2. Strain the liquid from the shaker evenly into 2 martini glasses, leaving room at the top for the champagne. Then, carefully pour the champage/sparkling wine to fill to the top of the glass.

3. Garnish your martini with an orange twist (instructions for my orange rind knots here) and enjoy!

~~~~~

Make sure to check out the rest of the amazing movie inspired recipes from the Sunday Supper crew!

Toast (bready things)

No Reservations (soups and salads)

Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)

Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)

Udon (pasta and noodles)

Just Desserts (sweet treats)

Bottle Shock (beverages)

32 Comments on Grapefruit Flirtini recipe for #SundaySupper

1. The Ninja Baker
    April 14, 2013 at 5:57 am (1 year ago)

Your grapefruit flirtini looks like a palate tickler and pleaser! Love the pale pink hue and the champagne topper =)

2. Shelby | Diabetic Foodie
    April 14, 2013 at 8:57 am (1 year ago)

There was actually an episode of the S&TC TV show that featured a flirtini!

• Katie
      April 15, 2013 at 2:28 pm (1 year ago)

Indeed there was! That particular cocktail has pineapple juice, vodka, and champagne, I believe! I am sure it is pretty tasty as well…

3. krystal
    April 14, 2013 at 10:25 am (1 year ago)

Katie, I love this! I don’t always comment on all your posts but I’m still here reading. :) I pinned this and hope to include it on a future cocktail inspiration post!! Hope things are going well.

• Katie
      April 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm (1 year ago)

Aw, thanks Krystal! Glad to know you’re here ;) – I know your life is busy now with that cutie pie of yours, I’ll forgive you! ;) And cocktail inspiration posts? Yes, please…

4. Laura Dembowski
    Twitter: piesandplots
    April 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm (1 year ago)

Forget all those crappy restaurant drinks I’ve had, I want this! It looks beautiful and sounds even better! Love the garnish too. Not to mention I’d do just about anything to feel a little like Carrie Bradshaw.

• Katie
      April 15, 2013 at 2:30 pm (1 year ago)

And another good part is the price tag…am I right? I always cringe a bit when I order a martini out at a restaurant and have to pay $10…when I can probably make something at home for $1 or less. Bah!

5. Heather @girlichef
    Twitter: girlichef
    April 14, 2013 at 1:34 pm (1 year ago)

Yes, so much fun…I could not wait to see this Grapefruit Flirtini! Cocktails are the perfect thing to make representing Sex and the City, too :)

6. Renee
    April 14, 2013 at 2:14 pm (1 year ago)

I’m certain you shared this recipe just for me. Oh how I love grapefruit and vodka is my alcohol of choice. Awesome martini!!

• Katie
      April 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm (1 year ago)

Such a good combo! I was skeptical when I bought the grapefruit vodka, but it’s won me over and I am pretty positive I’ll be buying another when I empty this one!

7. Diana @GourmetDrizzles
    April 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm (1 year ago)

Love this drink and what beautiful pictures! In fact, one sound good about now!!! ;-)

8. Liz
    Twitter: thatskinnychick
    April 14, 2013 at 4:39 pm (1 year ago)

Ooh, boy, what a fantastic cocktail. And the garnish is a GORGEOUS touch!!!

• Katie
      April 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Liz! I want to garnish every single one of my drinks like this now, and am trying to hone my knife skills to think up some other creations…too much time on my hands???

9. Shannon @VillageGirlBlog
    April 14, 2013 at 4:57 pm (1 year ago)

What a great cocktail! It’s so pretty. I love grapefruit in anything too :) Yum

10. Tara
    April 14, 2013 at 5:29 pm (1 year ago)

This is one thing I never got into, either the series or the movies but I know they were ever so popular. One thing I can get right into is that cocktail. I have to, have to make one and try that!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

• Katie
      April 15, 2013 at 2:35 pm (1 year ago)

You know what’s funny? I never got into them either. I didn’t have HBO when they originally aired, and I didn’t see the movie until it was out on DVD and I just rented it for cheap. I have seen a bunch of episodes here and there when they air on syndication…but never the entire series! They definitely were popular among my friends though, I hear you!

11. Megan
    April 14, 2013 at 5:52 pm (1 year ago)

I absolutely love this recipe. I am going to have to make these for my Mom on Mothers day!!! You know SATC is one of my favorite movies of all time, so no need to go into that :)

• Katie
      April 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm (1 year ago)

I think that sounds like a perfect plan!

12. Andrea (From the Bookshelf)
    April 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm (1 year ago)

What a great looking drink! Have to give this a try!

13. Hezzi-D
    April 14, 2013 at 8:11 pm (1 year ago)

This totally sounds like my kind of beverage! Love the fun pink color.

14. Family Foodie
    April 15, 2013 at 7:46 am (1 year ago)

This looks amazing! I must try a Flirtini! Your photography is just beautiful.

• Katie
      April 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Isabel! It was fun to make (and drink)…so no complaints here!!!

15. Tammi @ Momma's Meals
    April 15, 2013 at 8:09 am (1 year ago)

Can we say CLASSIC!!! My favorite movie!! Boy oh boy I can’t wait to have this BOY so I can try one of these drinks!

16. Lauren
    April 15, 2013 at 12:07 pm (1 year ago)

That looks refreshing and delicious!

17. Stacy
    Twitter: srushton1
    April 16, 2013 at 7:56 am (1 year ago)

Apparently I lead a too-sheltered life (or maybe because I have to get all my alcohol from duty free!) but I didn’t know there was such a thing as grapefruit vodka. Your flirtini looks so refreshing and the tied orange peel is adorable. Best of all, my husband doesn’t really like grapefruit, so I definitely wouldn’t have to share. I’ll be looking for that next time I am in an airport, Katie!

• Katie
      April 17, 2013 at 4:26 pm (1 year ago)

You know, I didn’t really know it existed either! Some of the Sweetbay grocery stores in our area were going out of business a few months ago, and everything went 50% off inside the stores, including the wine and liquor! I um…stocked up. And one of those bottles I snagged was the grapefruit one! I was skeptical, but am so happy I decided to be adventurous (I figured for half price, if I didn’t like it it wasn’t the biggest loss). I’ll definitely be buying a bottle at full price once this one is finished though: it’s great for martinis!

• Stacy
        Twitter: srushton1
        April 17, 2013 at 10:30 pm (1 year ago)

I don’t think I could have resisted a half price alcohol sale either, Katie! What a bargain!

18. Kendall
    April 16, 2013 at 12:27 pm (1 year ago)

Such a pretty cocktail, I’m sure it tastes delicious!

19. Conni @FoodieArmyWife
    April 16, 2013 at 3:48 pm (1 year ago)

Ooo…this looks yummy! I have to say, my favorite martini is a Chocolate Martini. But another close favorite is a peppermint martini, that I first experienced in North Pole, Alaska at the Elf’s Den (visited by Guy Fieri on DDD) Mmmm!

• Katie
      April 17, 2013 at 4:40 pm (1 year ago)

Wow – a peppermint martini in Alaska sounds like the perfect cocktail for that location!!!