Time to get your cocktail on!
The crew at Sunday Supper decided to tackle an oh so fun theme for this week: recipes inspired by movies!!! I knew there would be a ton of inspiration to draw from, so it was very difficult to select what I’d create. Amazing Italian food inspired by Eat Pray Love? Some green tomatoes (a la Fried Green Tomatoes)? Bouef Bourguignon inspired by Julie and Julia?
Inevitably, I thought it was time for a bit of a cocktail inspiration…and Sex & The City (the movie) came to mind, of course! Now, the classic Sex & The City cocktail is the Cosmopolitan, but I decided to stray from it a bit and create something a little bit different, but still with a somewhat girly pink color like the gals’ signature drink.
I present: the Grapefruit Flirtini. Or at least, that is what I’m calling it. I recently purchased a bottle of pink grapefruit vodka and have been experimenting with various uses for it. This is my favorite creation yet. You might already know that I’m a huge fan of champagne topped martinis, like the Bonefish Martini…so creating another version at home came naturally to me.
The Grapefruit Flirtini is tart yet not sugary sweet, and the addition of a champagne or sparkling wine topper make it just a little bit bubbly and definitely refreshing. Even though they look a little bit girly with their pink hue, you might find a man in your life reaching over for a few sips.
They’re even better when you garnish them with an orange rind knot. You can see a step by step tutorial of how I made them here. So easy, I promise!
The next time you have a ladies night with your best friends, definitely consider whipping up a batch of these Grapefruit Flirtinis. They’ll definitely be a fun addition to your evening!
What is your favorite type of martini to drink?
***Makes 2 cocktails***
2 oz. grapefruit vodka
2 oz cranberry juice
2 oz orange juice
Champagne or sparkling wine, to top
1. In a cocktail shaker, combine vodka, cranberry juice, and orange juice. Add a generous amount of ice, close the shaker, and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
2. Strain the liquid from the shaker evenly into 2 martini glasses, leaving room at the top for the champagne. Then, carefully pour the champage/sparkling wine to fill to the top of the glass.
3. Garnish your martini with an orange twist (instructions for my orange rind knots here) and enjoy!
Make sure to check out the rest of the amazing movie inspired recipes from the Sunday Supper crew!
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) – Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It’s Complicated) – That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- “Eat Me” Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) – The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) – The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Momma’s Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) – Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) – Pies and Plots
No Reservations (soups and salads)
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) – Pescetarian Journal
Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) – Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) – I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) – Big Bear’s Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) – From the Bookshelf
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) – girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) – Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) - Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) – My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) – Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) - Diabetic Foodie
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) - Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) - What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) – Juanita’s Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) – Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) – Gourmet Drizzles
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) – The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) – Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS’) (inspired by The Princess Bride) – The Cooking Actress
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) – Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) – Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney’s Fantasia) – NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) – Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) – The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) – Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) – Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) – Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bottle Shock (beverages)
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) – NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) – Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog