This Sunday, it’s all about citrus!
I don’t know about you, but my love for citrus runs deep. Perhaps the fact that I live in Florida is at fault for this. Citrus is so great for the sweet factor – key lime pie, anyone? Or, how about a fresh martini or margarita with squeezed lime juice and a twist? What I also love is the amazing brightness citrus can bring to savory dishes. From a squeeze of lime over the top of a taco, to a twist of lemon over the top of fish, you really can’t go wrong. And don’t get me started with the thought of making fresh guacamole with chopped tomatoes and lime…ok…I think I’ve made my point here: citrus and I are very good friends.
When the folks at Sunday Supper decided on a citrus theme for this week, it did not take me long to decide what I wanted to share. My mother has been making her version of this honey lime dressing for years now, and it is absolutely a favorite in our household. As soon as we start running low on this salad dressing in our kitchen, Justin is prompting me to make a new batch. It’s perfect for any salad with fresh veggies, but especially great in the salad I’ll be sharing with you this week (you can see a sneak peek of it today, of course).
This salad dressing is such a household favorite of ours, we actually gave the recipe to our wedding venue and had them create it to top the salad course at our wedding reception a few years ago. Even though I know the recipe by heart, I decided to do a little digging to find out where it originated from. Turns out: it’s from Disney’s Polynesian Resort’s Ohana restaurant. Who knew? I’ve never even been to the Ohana restaurant before! Even though it was a fan favorite, they apparently cut it from the menu this spring. My version is a slight adaptation from the original, however…don’t you love how you make things your own over time?
Anyway, make sure you whip up a batch of this salad dressing the next time you’re serving up some greens…and let me know how it tastes! I promise: it’s a winner.
What is your favorite way to enjoy citrus fruits?
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ cup lime juice (about ½ of a lime)
- ½ teaspoon lime zest (or other citrus zest)
- ⅛ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Generous pinch of salt
- ½ cup canola oil (or other light oil preferred for salad dressing)
- Combine honey, vinegar, lime juice, zest, onion, mustard, and salt (all ingredients except for the oil) in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle the oil into the food processor while pulsing to incorporate the oil. Dispense finished dressing into a carafe/sealed container.
- Serve dressing immediately, or store in the refrigerator in the sealed container.
Make sure you check out the other awesome citrus offerings from the Sunday Supper team today!
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks: