Whew. After being rather indulgent in the past week or so, I have to say I’m quite happy for some relief with the recipes for this week’s Sunday Supper! The gang got together to create some skinny dishes that are easier on the waistline. I can’t complain about that!
In general, a lot of the meals I prepare at home could be considered “skinny” meals. I try to incorporate fresh veggies, beans, fruits, and healthy grains as much as possible. So, when the idea of making a skinny recipe came up, I was almost at a loss at what to make…simply because there were so many options I could think of!
What I ended up deciding on was a really simple and easy dish I like to throw together every now and again. These Cajun Black Beans are a great side dish, or you can really incorporate them to be the main part of your meal as well! The ingredients are pretty simple: black beans, celery, onion, tomatoes…and some hot sauce. Yep. Simple simple simple. A bit spicy though, so make sure you aren’t afraid of a little heat!
Black beans are great for you – they are filled with fiber and protein! Eating a serving of them will keep you feeling full, which is a big plus in my eyes! Celery is a source of Vitamin C…and what is really cool about celery is that (apparently) most of the compounds in celery hold up during cooking, in comparison to other vegetables that lose their nutrients when cooked. Score! What I love about these black beans is the difference in textures and flavors. You get the crunch of the celery, which contrasts with the soft and creamy texture of the black beans. I really enjoy it. And, if you wanted to, you could definitely add in other veggies. I think some green or red pepper would be great. Adding some fresh jalapeno for more heat would be yummy too.
There are a few different options for serving this dish. You can simply scoop it up as-is for a side dish…you could dip some tortilla chips into it as a hot salsa/dip of sorts…scoop it on top of a bed of yellow rice and serve it with a spiced and grilled pork tenderloin (my personal favorite way to have it for dinner)…or spoon it into some corn tortillas with a sprinkle of shredded cheese and lettuce for some Cajun Black Bean tacos (a favorite lunch item for me)! If I’m the only one eating this dish, I’ll usually whip up a skillet of these beans one day and use it over the course of a few days!
Do you have any favorite skinny dishes that you make in your kitchen?
Cajun Black Beans
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
3 ribs of celery, diced
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 can (10oz) Rotel
Dash of hot sauce (I use Crystal), to taste
Olive oil, to drizzle
Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on the bottom of the pan (about 1 quick turn of the bottle) and add the onions. Cook the onions until translucent, about 3 minutes.
2. When the onions are translucent, add the diced celery and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute the celery until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the black beans, Rotel, and a few dashes of the hot sauce to taste. I suggest adding the hot sauce slowly and tasting it as the dish cooks…if you need more heat just keep adding a dash or two at a time. Turn the heat to medium low and allow the beans to simmer for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.
3. Serve as a side dish, on top of yellow rice, or in tacos. Enjoy!
Make sure you check out the other skinny recipes for this week’s Sunday Supper!
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog