Ruffles & Truffles

She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs for #SundaySupper

Sometimes, it is fun to go back to the classics. There are so many retro dishes out there…ones that take you back to your childhood…ones that just never seem to change with time.

She Deviled Eggs 5

The team at Sunday Supper is taking on retro recipes this week, and there were so many ideas I had to choose from. I think back to when my mom made “porcupine balls” and tuna noodle casserole. Definitely the flavors of childhood! However, there is a retro dish that I have been dying to make, with a fun little spin on it.

She Deviled Eggs 3

I present: She Devils. They are beet pickled deviled eggs. If you like deviled eggs and pickles, you’ll like these. Plus, they’re really pretty, don’t you think? The process to make the She Devils is not much different than regular deviled eggs…you simply add one step at the beginning to get them to this pretty pinkish purple hue.

She Deviled Eggs 2

The next time you decide to whip up a batch of deviled eggs for a get-together, think about making this version to take your regular, run of the mill deviled eggs up a notch! They are so pretty, and I bet your guests and friends will be asking about them.

She Deviled Eggs

She Devils – Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs

Ingredients

6 hard boiled eggs

Juice from a 16 oz jar of pickled beets

1 1/4 cup cider vinegar

3/4 cup water

3 tablespoons brown sugar

3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I use mayo made with olive oil)

1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard (any variety is fine)

salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. In a large bowl (I used a Rubbermaid Take Along container so it could be sealed), combine the juice from the jar of pickled beets, cider vinegar, water, and brown sugar. Stir to combine. If a few of the pickled beets fall into the mixture, it is ok!

2. Add the deviled eggs, seal the container, and place in the refrigerator for 10 hours. If you would like the eggs to have a smaller ring of pink, remove them from soaking earlier!

3. When the eggs have marinated, remove from the pickling juice and place on a cutting board. Slice each egg in half lengthwise, then gently remove the yolks with a spoon and add to a small bowl. Add the mayonnaise and mustard, as well as a few cracks of pepper and a pinch of salt to season. Mash with a fork until combined and smooth.

4. Scoop the finished mixture into the cavities of the eggs where the yolks were removed. Also, you can add the yolk filling mixture to a ziplock bag, seal it, then cut a small opening at one of the bottom corners. Use the bag like a piping bag and swirl the mixture into the eggs. Enjoy!

***Note: The pickling liquid would be enough for more than 6 eggs, so you would be able to make a larger batch if needed. Simply adjust the mayo/mustard amounts to reflect the number of eggs you are making.

~~~~~

Check out the rest of the retro recipes for Sunday Supper this week!

Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:

Sunday Supper Retro Salads:

Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:

SundaySupper Main Dishes:

Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:

Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:

78 Comments on She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs for #SundaySupper

1. Arlene @FlourOnMyFace
    January 20, 2013 at 6:37 am (1 year ago)

My husband loves deviled eggs and pickled eggs. He wasn’t too impressed with my first attempt at pickled eggs a few years ago so I am adding your recipe to my to do list. They look so pretty!

2. Faye Leong
    January 20, 2013 at 7:40 am (1 year ago)

Another interesting way of making Devil eggs and you have done a great job! Can’t wait to try!

3. Shannon @VillageGirlBlog
    January 20, 2013 at 8:45 am (1 year ago)

These are so pretty! I had never thought to use pickled eggs for deviled eggs. What a great idea.

• Katie
      January 20, 2013 at 10:43 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Shannon! I am not sure in the end how much of a pickled egg they can be considered when I only soak the hard boiled eggs for 10 hours, but you do get a hint of the pickled flavor in the egg, which is a fun difference in flavor!

4. Renee - Kudos Kitchen
    January 20, 2013 at 9:45 am (1 year ago)

These are so pretty and unique. I’m sure they’d be quite eye catching on a buffet table (especially at Easter).

• Katie
      January 20, 2013 at 10:44 am (1 year ago)

I definitely think Easter would be a great day to break these out!

5. Alaiyo Kiasi
    January 20, 2013 at 10:04 am (1 year ago)

I love deviled eggs, and I remember these! Love the photos and recipe.

6. Jennie @themessybakerblog
    January 20, 2013 at 10:06 am (1 year ago)

My grandmother still makes pickled eggs every year for Easter. I love that you deviled them. Mmm, so good.

7. BusyWorkingMama
    January 20, 2013 at 10:10 am (1 year ago)

Love that the color is REAL, not some artificial coloring. My daughter would love pink deviled eggs!

• Katie
      January 20, 2013 at 10:46 am (1 year ago)

That is a good point, and definitely a plus! I have a friend who uses only natural foods to dye Easter eggs and I’ve been wanting to try it myself…I want to see how it would work on the egg shells! Perhaps this Easter I will have to give it a shot…

• BusyWorkingMama
        January 20, 2013 at 11:02 am (1 year ago)

My mom always used onion peels to dye eggs when we lived in Poland (and didn’t have access to coloring kits). They turned a nice brownish color. I’ve done it for Easter! I bet beet coloring would be perfect…as well as turmeric.

8. Megan
    January 20, 2013 at 10:11 am (1 year ago)

Fun!! Gabe loves pickled anything. I will try these for my next get together. I’ve missed you!!

• Katie
      January 20, 2013 at 10:46 am (1 year ago)

You’re back…finally! Sheesh. ;)

• Patti
      January 20, 2013 at 10:14 am (1 year ago)

Love these Katie! I always make them at Easter with all those hard-boiled eggs. I want one like now.

9. Lane @ Supper for a Steal
    January 20, 2013 at 10:28 am (1 year ago)

These are so cute. Deviled eggs usually make and appearance at most family gatherings. I think I need to try these next time.

• Katie
      January 20, 2013 at 10:47 am (1 year ago)

I have been seeing a lot of cool spins on deviled eggs recently…this one was my first variation…maybe moving on to a guacamole bacon deviled egg I saw somewhere; it sounded really tasty!

10. Amy
    January 20, 2013 at 10:30 am (1 year ago)

Deviled eggs are my weakness. And I love the twist on these!

11. Heather @girlichef
    Twitter: girlichef
    January 20, 2013 at 11:23 am (1 year ago)

These are one of those things that I’ve always meant to make…but always wind up buying just one or two from the deli when I get a craving. They’re so pretty!

12. Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba)
    January 20, 2013 at 11:27 am (1 year ago)

Never had pickled eggs… personally I hate hardboiled ones LOL but my stepbrother loves them!

• Katie
      January 24, 2013 at 7:28 am (1 year ago)

You know, hardboiled eggs are not my absolute favorite thing to eat either! I can eat one half…but I can’t really go much farther than that most of the time!

13. Sherron@SimplyGourmet
    January 20, 2013 at 11:30 am (1 year ago)

Oh these are beautiful! I will have to make these soon. We love deviled eggs in our home and this will be a fun surprise to unwrap these at our next gathering.

14. The Wimpy Vegetarian
    January 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm (1 year ago)

This is great! I haven’t thought about pickled eggs in YEARS! Love it!

15. DB-The Foodie Stuntman
    January 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm (1 year ago)

What a creative twist on deviled eggs! I think I’ll save this because my daughter’s 5th birthday is approaching and she’d love these pink eggs.

16. Anne @ Webicurean
    January 20, 2013 at 1:05 pm (1 year ago)

Those look beautiful! I have a recipe for pickled eggs that I’ve been eying for years… I never thought of making them into deviled eggs. I’m definitely going to try this now!

17. Conni Smith
    January 20, 2013 at 3:28 pm (1 year ago)

Oh, how cute! I love the color that the beets give the eggs :)

18. Tara
    January 20, 2013 at 3:32 pm (1 year ago)

Look at how pretty those are and I love deviled eggs!!

19. Karen Hartzell (@InTheKitchenKP)
    January 20, 2013 at 4:05 pm (1 year ago)

I love love love red beet eggs! Now I am going to have to make some next weekend! Your’s look delicious!

20. Hezzi-D
    January 20, 2013 at 4:17 pm (1 year ago)

These are so pretty! I’ve never actually seen these before but I’d love to make them for a luncheon.

21. Jenne
    January 20, 2013 at 4:36 pm (1 year ago)

I just love the color that the beets add to the egg. Do they turn out a bit sweet?

• Katie
      January 24, 2013 at 7:30 am (1 year ago)

They taste a little like pickles…the pickling liquid that you sit them in does change the flavor of the egg white a bit! However, the longer you leave them in the brine, the more the flavor will sink in, I would think! The next time I make these I might go for a little less time so the ring of pink is slightly smaller…

22. Audrey's Mamma
    January 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm (1 year ago)

Pink eggs! The girls are going to be all over this. We usually buy whole beets but this recipe deserves a trip to the store for pickled beets (which I love on my salads!)

• Katie
      January 24, 2013 at 7:31 am (1 year ago)

My mom always puts beets on her salads, and I never liked them as a kid! I’ve slowly learned to accept them in salads…haha!

23. The Ninja Baker
    January 20, 2013 at 6:00 pm (1 year ago)

So pretty, Katie! Perfect for Easter or a bridal shower.

Great choice too of using beet juice to color the eggs =)

24. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen
    January 20, 2013 at 6:37 pm (1 year ago)

Not only are they terribly cute, but they will have a vinegar-y flavor. Love this recipe!

25. Liz
    Twitter: thatskinnychick
    January 20, 2013 at 8:32 pm (1 year ago)

What a beautiful twist on deviled eggs! I love pickled beets and infusing the whites with that flavor must be marvelous!!!

26. Cindys Recipes
    January 21, 2013 at 1:03 am (1 year ago)

I haven’t thought about these eggs in a long time. Thanks for the reminder!

27. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb
    January 21, 2013 at 5:41 am (1 year ago)

That’s such a cool idea as an appetizer and so pretty. People will make big eyes if I make this here. =)

28. Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere
    Twitter: CCuisiniere
    January 21, 2013 at 11:48 am (1 year ago)

Love deviled eggs and pickles beets! This looks like a winner! I’m so excited to try it!

29. Bea
    January 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm (1 year ago)

These are so pretty and delicious!!! Beautiful :)

30. Susan
    January 21, 2013 at 3:39 pm (1 year ago)

I love beet pickled deviled eggs! I don’t care how retro it is, deviled eggs will never go out of style.

31. Nancy @ gottagetbaked
    January 21, 2013 at 4:54 pm (1 year ago)

I love deviled eggs but have never had them pickled before. You’re right – the pink so so pretty! They remind me of the eggs Chinese people serve at one-month baby parties. It’s tradition to have a party when a baby turns one month old. Hard boiled eggs (signifying fertility) are dyed red for good luck and each guest gets one. When you peel the egg, it’s pink inside.

• Katie
      January 24, 2013 at 7:32 am (1 year ago)

How cool! I had never heard of this…thanks for sharing! :)

32. Carla
    January 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm (1 year ago)

If there is a plate of deviled eggs at a party, I usually end up eating half the plate! I love beets too, so I’m pretty excited to try this version.

33. Linda@There and Back Again
    January 21, 2013 at 10:51 pm (1 year ago)

I’ve heard of this recipe for hard boiled eggs before: It is a classic Pennsylvania Dutch recipe. I love the idea of making deviled eggs out of it!

34. Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories)
    January 22, 2013 at 5:06 am (1 year ago)

What a cool idea! These are perfect for Valentine’s Day too. We love Deviled Eggs in our house, so I’m excited to learn a new way of making them.

35. Sarah
    January 22, 2013 at 8:32 am (1 year ago)

Such a pretty color! Taking deviled eggs to another level. Love it!

36. Renee
    January 22, 2013 at 4:23 pm (1 year ago)

Seriously cool. I’m making these for my husband for Valentine’s Day. He loves both beets and deviled eggs.

37. Donna
    January 23, 2013 at 2:23 am (1 year ago)

I love beet-pickled eggs! They’re so good. And pretty.

38. Amanda @ MarocMama
    January 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm (1 year ago)

What a great recipe. This color pink always screams vintage to me.

24Pingbacks & Trackbacks on She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs for #SundaySupper

1. Salmon Salad
    January 20, 2013 at 10:13 am (1 year ago)

[...] She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles [...]

2. Sunday Supper
    January 20, 2013 at 10:14 am (1 year ago)

[...] She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles [...]