Ruffles & Truffles

Yelp Livin La Vida Local at Datz

This year, I have been lucky enough to discover the awesomeness of Yelp. Do you use it? I am constantly using Yelp to check out restaurant reviews, as well as to post my own experiences.

However, did you know that Yelp puts on events as well? In Tampa, there is a monthly “community manager Yelp event,” and if you have an “Elite” status, there is a monthly Elite event you can attend as well. I have been fortunate enough to attend a number of Elite events since this summer (a wine/food tasting event at Capital Grill and Howl O Scream at Busch Gardens, just as a few examples).

Last night, Yelp hosted a party called “Livin La Vida Local” at one of Tampa’s most buzzed about restaurants: Datz. I have heard so many great things about the menu offerings at Datz, so I was excited to sample some of their specialties!

We started off with a sample of truffle parmesan popcorn. What a great combo – I have been loving items featuring truffle oil lately; it is such a unique flavor!

Before we entered Datz, we snagged a small dish of chocolate orange gelato. I couldn’t help it: I know it wasn’t dessert time yet, but this gal’s got a sweet tooth, and creamy gelato is always appreciated.

Once inside, the food and drink sampling really kicked into gear! We were greeted at the door with a choice of specialty cocktails, made with V6 Vodka. I sampled the Winter White Cosmo – which had a tart and sweet bite to it. Justin was a fan of the Mulled Cider Martini – it IS fall after all!

As for the food, we tried our best to grab a little bit of everything that was being passed around. Inside the front door was a counter filled with waffle cones. Annnd do you know what went inside those cones? Fried chicken! What a great little hand held treat: you were able to drizzle hot sauce or maple syrup on top of your cone (or both)…savory…sweet…spicy…you’ve got to love it.

We snagged some hummus shooters with crudite to dip, and filled our plates a few times with slices of Margherita and Piggy flatbreads. There were leaves of fresh basil on top of each slice: any food that features that fresh herb is a winner in my book!

Datz makes fresh, house-made potato chips, and they served them up with a blue cheese drizzle. Yum!

There were some other notable food items that I didn’t manage to snag photos of: Reuben bites, mini Kobe meatloaves, and pulled pork sliders to be exact! There were also local vendors showing off their amazing products at the event (it WAS called Livin La Vida LOCAL, after all!). Fat Cat was there serving up their hot sauces. Toffee to Go had samples of white chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate toffee. Be still, my heart. I am dying to get my hands on some more of this treat! Finally, William Dean chocolates were passing out their beautiful chocolates to sample. This is just a sneak peek…I have more to say about them soon!

Phase 5, a local band, was playing tunes at the event, and I have to say they were quite great! If I was in the market for a band to play at my wedding reception or for a party/event, I’d definitely be looking in to booking them!

All in all, this was quite a great event! Thanks so much to Yelp for organizing, to Datz for hosting, and to all the great local vendors for sharing their goods with us!

Are you involved with Yelp in your area?

Datz Tampa on Urbanspoon

14 Comments on Yelp Livin La Vida Local at Datz

1. Amanda
    November 12, 2012 at 5:36 pm (1 year ago)

Um, this looks fantastic and I had no idea Yelp did stuff like this! I’m definitely going to have to get more involved, haha

• Katie
      November 13, 2012 at 6:38 am (1 year ago)

Definitely check it out – I had NO idea that Yelp held local events…but after I hit a certain number of reviews I was asked to be Elite status, and now I get really excited to see what the next event will be!

2. Wendy
    November 12, 2012 at 7:03 pm (1 year ago)

Looks like a great event! Wish I had been able to rsvp earlier. Love those potato chips.

3. Nichole Crews
    November 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm (1 year ago)

The chocolates were almost TOO pretty to eat! So fun.

• Katie
      November 13, 2012 at 6:38 am (1 year ago)

I agree! I somehow managed though…darn ;) They tasted as great as they looked, so that is a plus at least!

4. hayley
    November 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm (1 year ago)

What a cool event! I LOVE Yelp, but had no idea they held events like this. I’ll have to check it out and see if they have any in Atlanta. So fun! I love the play on chicken and waffles w/ the waffle cone, too.

• Katie
      November 13, 2012 at 6:40 am (1 year ago)

I would bet you that Atlanta DEFINITELY is doing events since it’s a bigger city than Tampa. Make an account and start reviewing businesses, restaurants, etc.! Check out the “Talk” section and the Events section to see what is coming up…the community managers in each city are usually very helpful and nice!

5. Crystal H
    November 13, 2012 at 1:50 am (1 year ago)

This looks like it was a blast! I LOVE Datz and I was so not happy to have to turn down my invite. I was at work while you all were chowing down. : ( I am hoping to be Elite soon….so maybe I will see you at some of the future events.

ps> You’d have to be crazy to walk past that gelato. Good call!

• Katie
      November 13, 2012 at 6:41 am (1 year ago)

Aw, I’m sorry you couldn’t be there. Next event, perhaps? ;)

6. Hemborgwife
    November 13, 2012 at 6:32 am (1 year ago)

O my goodness blue cheese drizzle on chips sounds so so good!

7. Megan
    November 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm (1 year ago)

GREAT review!! I wish I had better photos. Save me some of that chocolate!

8. josh@phase5band.com
    November 14, 2012 at 9:26 am (1 year ago)

Hi Katie! Thanks so much for the kind shout out! We are so glad that you liked the music!!!!

• Katie
      November 16, 2012 at 6:50 am (1 year ago)

My pleasure! Thanks for being at the event – it was great!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Yelp Livin La Vida Local at Datz