As the temperatures cool down here this fall, there is a type of dish I start whipping up regularly: SOUP!
I can’t get enough of soup, and I am always looking for new recipes to try out…for a bit of variety, you know! Today, I wanted to create a soup that reminded me of a classic dish: chicken pot pie. I know, I could just keep things simple and make the darn pie like normal, but a brothier soup version was calling my name.
The chicken pot pie stew soup (named that way because it is slightly thicker than a brothy soup…it reminds me of stew) is easy to make in your kitchen, thankfully!
It reminds me of chicken pot pie…without the crust. However, you could definitely pair a bowl of the soup with a fresh biscuit or crusty slice of bread. Yum! Plus, it doesn’t take very much time to make. If you aren’t in the mood to wait for a chicken pot pie to bake in the oven, this recipe might just be right up your alley. Try it out!
Chicken Pot Pie Stew Soup
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, grilled (or fully cooked in some way) and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lbs red skinned potatoes, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, thyme, etc.)
- Heat a large stock pot to medium-high. Bring 2½ cups of the chicken broth and the bay leaves to a boil. Add the chopped potatoes and carrots (if you are using fresh - if you are using frozen, add the carrots with the peas), then cover the pot and cook for 8-10 minutes. Next, stir in the frozen peas, then cover and cook for 2 more minutes. Then, add the cooked chicken (chopped into small pieces).
- Combine the remaining ½ cup of chicken broth with the 3 tbsp of flour, then stir into the potato mixture. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes, until soup is bubbly and thick.
- Remove the bay leaves and add the Italian seasoning; allow mixture to cook for 2 more minutes before serving.
- Serve your chicken pot pie stew soup with a fresh biscuit or bread. Enjoy!
Are you a fan of chicken pot pie?