Spaghetti Squash Gratins for #SundaySupper

I’m quite excited to share today’s recipe with you.

Breaking bread with family around the dinner table a lot of times means that we’ll be digging into some classic dishes. Comfort food seems to be abundant when it comes to family gatherings, or at least that seems to be the case for me! Is there anything better than a dish that makes you feel warm and comforted? They’re the go-to dishes that you know will be amazing, no matter what.

However, sometimes comfort food = not exactly easy on the waist line…and that means I don’t like to indulge in it all that often. So for today’s Sunday Supper I wanted to take a classic comfort food (for me – lasagna) and whip it up in a skinnier version that I can enjoy on a regular basis.

I’ve become quite fond of spaghetti squash in the past few years, and I’ve been thinking of ways to incorporate it in dishes in place of pasta. So, I whipped up a chunky tomato sauce, topped with light ricotta cheese, and after some time in the oven, I had some spaghetti squash gratins that remind me of a vegetarian lasagna. The ramekin dishes make it a great little side dish easy for serving (and saving for later), but you could also whip this up family style in a larger baking container if desired!

The fact that my husband actually likes eating this dish is a win in my opinion. He enjoys spaghetti squash, but sometimes gets sad when I use it in place of pasta. It’s true: there is something so wonderful about pasta that can’t be replaced fully with a squash, but it definitely makes a dish guilt-free! As it stands, this is a vegetarian option, but I could definitely see adding Italian sausage to the mix. Zucchini and eggplant are another tasty addition you could make. Anyway, whip this recipe up next time you’re in the mood for some comfort food, but don’t want the guilt: I promise it’s tasty!

Spaghetti Squash Gratins

Makes 8 servings

Ingredients

1 spaghetti squash (about 2 lbs)

1 tbsp olive oil

3 garlic cloves, minced

4 vine ripe tomatoes, diced small (or 2 15oz cans of diced tomatoes, drained)

1 tbsp Italian seasoning (basil/oregano mix)

1/4 cup julienned fresh basil (if you can’t find fresh, you can use basil pesto or basil from a tube)

8 tablespoons pasta sauce of your choosing (optional)

16 heaping tablespoons reduced fat ricotta cheese

salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Pierce your spaghetti squash multiple times with the tines of a fork and bake for about an hour, until squash is tender. If you’re looking for detailed instructions, see my post here. Remove cooked squash from the oven and allow to cool slightly. When heat has reduced, slice the spaghetti squash in half, use a spoon to remove the seeds, then use the tines of a fork to shred/remove the strands and set aside. Once the spaghetti squash is removed from the oven, reset the oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.

3. In a large bowl, add spaghetti squash and cooked tomato mixture. Stir until evenly distributed. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each of 8 ramekins. If desired, top with a heaping tablespoon of pasta sauce (for those who prefer a saucier gratin). Then, top with about 2 tablespoons of ricotta (you can use less or more if preferred).

4. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 35 minutes, or until lightly browned. Enjoy!

If you’re looking for another tasty spaghetti squash recipe, make sure you check out my version with grilled chicken, sundried tomatoes, broccoli, and peas! It’s quite yummy…

Make sure you check out the other comfort food recipes this week for Sunday Supper – there are tons of amazing options to choose from!

#SundaySupper Comfort Food |Soups

#SundaySupper Comfort Food  | Main Dish

#SundaySupper Comfort Food | Desserts

Pairing Wine with Sunday Supper Comfort Food Favorites! by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

Comments

• Katie says

Spaghetti squash is definitely one of my favorite foods when it is in season! I’m still trying to create more and more dishes to use it, even though it is darn good with a few scoops of spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese too!

1. says

I love that you made them in individual dishes – that’s great for portion control. And though I do love pasta, this sounds like a delicious and flavorful healthy alternative! And still comforting.

• Katie says

Thanks! The portion control is another good point I forgot about! I am NOTORIOUS for going back to a big dish for seconds…at least these keep me from doing it! I wrap the extras up and pop them in the fridge for the next few days…

2. says

I too have taken up a new love for Spaghetti Squash! You are so lucky your husband will eat it!! I love trying different variations for it, I do make it for myself I’ll have to try this, love the ramekin idea!

• Katie says

I am very fortunate to have a husband who is not picky at all! He eats pretty much everything that I put on the table, with the exception of olives and citrus flavored desserts (wahhh no key lime pie for him…he’s missing out)!

• Katie says

I know it was probably anti-comfort food of me to post a lightened up recipe, but for me this one definitely gives me the comfort food flavor without being so decadent that I can’t have it on a regular basis!

3. says

I can take or leave most squash, but I LOVE spaghetti squash! And I’m loving your gratins…they sound spectacular!!! Happy #SundaySupper~

4. says

That is why I made a healthier version of Shepard’s pie, I love comfort food just not how heavy caloried it is. This is such a cute idea. I love using spaghetti squash in replacement for pasta as well.

5. Liz C. says

Just as an FYI – You can also cut the squash before you cook it. I find that easier because it isn’t hot (and you don’t have to wait for it to cool). So I cut in half, scrap out seeds, place both sides open-side down on cookie sheet and cook as you directed. Just a thought!

• Katie says

Liz – Yep! I’m aware of that cooking method as well (I’ve actually mentioned it before in other posts), and I know other people prefer to do it that way…I choose to cook mine this way because I sometimes have a hard time slicing the squash open when it is hard and uncooked. This way, I know I won’t accidentally slice my hand off! I usually let my squash cool for a bit before slicing and scooping the insides out…

6. says

I made spaghetti squash once and I the texture through me off. I’ve always told myself that I needed to try it again so I’ll have to win and remember this recipe!!

• Katie says

It’s definitely a unique texture! I tend to not like it when it’s prepared in a “sweet” method…with brown sugar and such…I like the savory versions much more! I even like to just have a bowl of it with some spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese on top for lunch…so simple!

7. says

We were totally on the same page this week with making a lighter comfort food! I love this. My husband just yesterday asked me to get some spaghetti squash and to do something with it. This is PERFECT!!!! I can’t wait to make this. I have all of the ingredients :-)

• Katie says

Great minds think alike! I do love comfort food in all its caloric glory, but my poor tummy can’t take too much of it on a regular basis. ;)

8. says

I’ve been a lot about spaghetti squash lately. I’m going to have to give it a try because your dish looks fantastic and it’s calling my name! :)

• Katie says

I only started eating spaghetti squash in the past 2 years…I think I’d been missing out! It’s so fun to open it up and remove the strands!

Trackbacks