Did you see that Pinterest is now allowing you to verify your website?
Yep. You can get a nifty little red check mark on your Pinterest profile to show you’re legit…and your full website URL will be displayed on your Pinterest profile (as opposed to the little globe symbol that you typically see). So, how do you get verified, you ask? Well, I spent 30 minutes this morning trying to figure it out, since the instructions on Pinterest are pretty darn vague unless you’re a tech whiz (I am not). And…I must add that this only works for top level sites, so if you have a blog that isn’t self hosted, it won’t work…at least not at the current time.
It’s a quick process that will only take you a few moments. I PROMISE!
1. First, go to your Pinterest profile and in the top right hand corner drop-down, select “Settings.” Scroll down to where your website is listed (or if you don’t have it there already, fill that out) – it will prompt you to verify your site there.
2. Pinterest will provide you with 3 steps to complete. First, click to download the HTML verification file to you computer. Keep this window open, since you’ll need to go back to it at the end.
3. The second step on Pinterest’s instructions is where it gets vague. Um…upload to your web server? What does that mean? Don’t worry – I figured it out for you all who aren’t familiar with uploading to your web server at the root folder. Don’t go to your website, go to your web HOST. Once you log on to your account, visit your control panel, and click over to your FTP File Manager…what it looks like on various hosts may look slightly different…but this is what mine looks like!
4. Under the File Manager tab, you’ll see a number of options. Make sure the “Upload File” tab is selected, then click “Browse” to locate and select the HTML file you downloaded from Pinterest in Step 2. Load it, and you’re ready to go!
5. Return to the Pinterest page where you downloaded the HTML file. You’ve now completed the first two steps…all you need to do is click “Verify…”
6. Voila! Your website is now verified on your Pinterest page! Easy peasy.
So, have you verified your website on your Pinterest page?
And….if you’d like to follow my Pinterest boards, here’s a link to my profile!