Today, I’m celebrating the start of fall (seriously though – where did the year go?). I love autumn, and one of my favorite things about the season is that apples are abundant! I get SO excited to stock up on Honeycrisps to eat everyday, as well as a variety of other apples for other purposes.
As a kid, I lived in Wisconsin and Michigan for a few years. When apple season rolled around, my family always went apple picking together. I would look forward to those excursions; we’d always return home with a huge bushel of apples to enjoy.
When I saw that the theme for this week’s Sunday Supper was an Autumn Apple Party, there were so many ideas running through my head on what to make. You can’t go wrong with apple pie, apple crisp, or homemade applesauce. However, I thought I’d try my hand at a dish that is more on the savory side instead. I took a simple side dish and kicked it up a notch or two with some added ingredients. This wild rice dish really reminds me of fall and winter holiday fare. The holidays are always such a wonderful opportunity to sit around the family table together. But, just because it reminds me of holidays doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy this side on any regular day of the week. I served mine up alongside a pork tenderloin…yum!
I love that this dish is both savory and sweet. The rice has a great savory base, but the apples add a tart kick, and the craisins provide a hint of sweetness. Plus, it’s really an easy recipe to create.
Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts
*5 ounces long grain and wild rice (I use Mahatma)
*1 1/2 cups water
*1/2 cup diced apple (about 2/3 of an apple; I used Granny Smith)
*1/4 cup craisins
*1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. In a small pot, bring water to a boil. Add rice, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Quickly add chopped apple to the rice and allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
3. When rice is complete, fluff lightly with a fork and stir in craisins. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top for garnish before serving. Enjoy!
Do you ever incorporate apples into savory dishes? What is your favorite?
And, if you want some more amazing apple inspiration, take a look at all the recipes from other #SundaySupper contributors!
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel - Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked