Simple Roasted Purple Potatoes for #SundaySupper

Well, football season is officially upon us. Are you excited?

I’ll be honest: I’m not much of a football fan. I somewhat blame going to college at a university where attending the football game was more of a social event and included dressing up in heels and pearls with my sorority sisters. The dressing up was fun, but I don’t know that I ever WATCHED a football game.

There is one thing I love about football though: tailgating food! Being able to gather with friends and family to enjoy some fun eats is always a blast. My tailgating experience isn’t usually at a football game…rather, it is in my own kitchen.

One of my favorite side dishes to eat are roasted potatoes. They’re simple, they’re tasty, they’re a crowd pleaser! Ordinarily, I use red skin potatoes with this recipe, but when I laid eyes on a bag of purple potatoes at the store, I just had to have them.

This recipe is almost TOO simple…but simple can be fantastic. Plus, you’ll have plenty of time to keep your eye on the football game/socialize instead of slaving away in the kitchen. All it takes is a little bit of slicing, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and some Garlic Goodness sauce from Intensity Academy.

Pop them in the oven, and you’ll end up with some crispy (but soft on the inside) potatoes, perfect to accompany your burger, hotdog, or other tailgating food on your menu.

Roasted Purple Potatoes

Ingredients

1 small bag purple potatoes (28oz)

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I used Chile Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

1 tbsp Garlic Goodness sauce (you can sub 3-4 cloves minced garlic and an extra drizzle of olive oil)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

2. Wash/lightly scrub purple potatoes and pat dry. Slice each potato into quarters and place in a bowl.

3. Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and Garlic Goodness sauce. Toss to coat.

4. Spread sliced potatoes out evenly on a nonstick cookie sheet (I line mine with aluminum foil and a spray of nonstick cooking spray for easier cleanup later). Bake for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are crispy, turning/stirring once or twice.

Enjoy!

And if you are in need of more inspiration for your tailgate food, I’ve got some for you! There are plenty of dishes to choose from…

Join the folks at Sunday Supper as we share our favorite tailgate recipes and tips. Hop on twitter at 7pm EST for the live #SundaySupper chat.

The Lineup

Pre Game Warm-ups:

On the Sidelines:

Main Events:

Overtime:

From the Cooler:

Wine Pairings by Wine Everyday

What is your favorite food to eat at a tailgate?

Comments

1. says

Purple potatoes are so good! I usually just use olive oil, salt and pepper but the Intensity Academy sauces are a fabulous idea. Great recipe.

2. says

These are so fun…really, who can resist purple potatoes (not me)! And with extra garlicky goodness? I’m a goner!

I had to giggle at thinking of somebody in heels and pearls for a football game. We always threw on jeans or sweats and tennis shoes before leaving the dorm (or house…depending on the year) to head to the stadium. I may have cried if I had to wear heels. Or pearls ;P

• Katie says

I know, the dressing up for the football games thing is definitely a more…southern tradition I guess? The sorority girls always dressed up – it was to keep up appearances and such I suppose/kind of a recruiting tactic partially as well since our school didn’t allow recruitment until after fall semester (smart – the freshmen got to experience college for 1 term to learn about the organizations and not get rushed into it…but that meant the current ladies had to look appealing to the potential members….haha!). It was the norm for me since I didn’t know anything else, but once I got out of college and was invited to a NFL game in Tampa, I got confused and had to ask what I was supposed to wear! Tee shirts and jeans just felt…strange!

• says

LOL! It’s amazing how different parts of the country can have such different traditions and culture. Of course, I was not in a sorority, so for all I know, the ones in Michigan may have done the same!? :)

• Katie says

Who knows, haha! I do get a lot of puzzled looks from people who didn’t go to school in the south when I mention it, so I think that it might not be super common? Hmmm

3. says

We are big fans of roasted potatoes in this house, my husband prefers me to make them over mashed potatoes. One trick I use is to let the potatoes soak in the oil for 20 minutes before I put them in the oven so they are extra crispy on the outside.

• Katie says

I like them that way too! I also love adding some fresh rosemary to them if I have it sitting around…I’m a sucker for rosemary…

4. says

Oh my , I just love the colors in your potatoes!!They look perfectly roasted and I could easily eat a bowl of those in a matter of seconds :)

• Katie says

I was saying to my husband that I thought kids would go crazy for some purple mashed potatoes too…my mom used to make green mashed potatoes for St. Patrick’s Day, but that of course used food coloring…I love that this purple is natural!!!

5. says

Never cooked with purple potatoes before and this looks super yumm !! They have these at the nearby farm as the current veggie to pick or rather dig out ! Will take my girls and maybe pick some at the farm & make these goodies :)

• Katie says

That sounds like a fun experience! I can’t wait until we move into a house so I can have a garden – it is such a fun thing to harvest your own produce!

Trackbacks