Ruffles & Truffles

Burger 21

From the title alone, you might start to wonder. I don’t eat red meat…what would I be doing at a burger joint?

Having an awesome meal, that’s what!

I’d been hearing glowing reviews of Burger 21, located over in Westchase in Tampa, for quite some time. Finally, I had to give in and see what the excitement was all about. Thankfully, it did not disappoint! I dined there along with Justin and my mom one afternoon, so there was plenty of sharing and tasting to go around!

Burger 21 offers a unique variety of different burgers to choose from: we sampled three.

Pin It

Justin picked the Shroom burger: lettuce, tomato, grilled crimini mushrooms, fontina cheese, caramelized onions, and garlic butter on a brioche bun. Look at that melty cheese! He was a fan.

Next up was my mom’s selection: the Black and Bleu burger:

The burger was topped with lettuce, tomato and applewood-smoked bacon with creamy bleu cheese sauce on a brioche bun. My dining buddies informed me that their burgers were incredibly tender…and judging by the fact that there wasn’t a single bite left of either I’d say they were really tasty as well!

Then came the tricky part. Since I don’t eat red meat, I was worried that I would be limited by my choices. Burger 21 does offer seafood burgers, veggie burgers, chicken burgers, and turkey burgers. However, after reading the “regular” burger menu, I had my heart set on the Cinco burger. The folks at Burger 21 were nice enough to accommodate me though! I ordered the Cinco burger with turkey: lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, jalapeños, Monterey jack cheese, and cilantro sour cream (on the side for me) on a sesame bun.

I’ve had many turkey burgers in my life, and I have to say: this was the BEST one I have ever had the pleasure to eat. They use turkey breast (as you can see in the photos), which has the tendency to be dry VERY easily. However, the turkey burgers are incredibly moist and flavorful. I think I marveled over this fact after every bite…trying to figure out exactly how they do it. Still a mystery, by the way.

Anyway, let’s move on to the sides. Burger 21 makes two different kinds of fries: regular and sweet potato. Oh, be still my heart: they are shoestring…very crisp, and SO delicious!

There are also a variety of sauces to try:

Regular ketchup, honey mustard, Thai ketchup (my favorite), habanero mango, and marshmallow mayonnaise. I know a lot of people have been all about the marshmallow mayo with the sweet potato fries, but I have to say I did not like it. You can definitely taste the mayonnaise in the sauce (mayo and I are not friends), so it felt really strange eating that with french fries. If somehow Burger 21 would be able to give me a scoop of marshmallow fluff to put on my sweet potato fries, then we might be talking…

After we scarfed down our burgers and fries, we were stuffed. However, we HAD to sample the milkshakes offered at Burger 21 as well! So, we ordered two different ones and shared them amongst the table:

First up: the chocolate peanut butter milkshake. Justin was all about it. However, I think they should just label it the peanut butter milkshake, because I could hardly taste the chocolate. I could only take a few sips and had to stop. If Burger 21 would amp up the chocolate flavor a bit to balance it out, I think this milkshake would be much improved!

Moving on:

The tiramisu shake was the milkshake of the month when we visited Burger 21. I couldn’t resist: we had to order it! The flavor was sweet and light, with a small hint of coffee flavor. I loved the added touch of a ladyfinger cookie on top. Burger 21 uses Blue Bell ice cream for their milkshakes: the quality is top notch. They also offer floats on their menu: I wouldn’t mind trying a Coke float on a future trip (yum)!

All in all, we had an amazing experience with Burger 21; if you are looking for a burger in the Tampa Bay area, this is definitely the place to go! They are currently located in Westchase, but are also opening a Carrollwood location this fall. Definitely stop by if you have the opportunity!

Burger 21

9664 West Linebaugh Ave.
Tampa, Florida 33626
813-475-5921

Where did you have the best burger of your life? What was on it?

Burger 21 on Urbanspoon

15 Comments on Burger 21

1. Lane
    September 16, 2011 at 9:17 am (3 years ago)

Their turkey burgers are awesome! We went a few months ago and your review has me wanting to go again and order the Cinco burger with a turkey patty. Sounds great.

• Katie
      September 18, 2011 at 10:44 am (3 years ago)

Do it! It was so very tasty. Also, I would love to see them have a lettuce wrap option for burgers instead of buns. I love when I have that option!

2. Jessica
    September 16, 2011 at 10:00 am (3 years ago)

I wish we had places like this around here! That cinco burger sounds delicious.

3. Sandy a la Mode
    September 16, 2011 at 10:08 am (3 years ago)

oh wow!! looks so good! looks like a place in kansas city called blanc burger where they have gourmet burgers, amazing truffle fries and shakes yum!

• Katie
      September 18, 2011 at 10:44 am (3 years ago)

Oh gosh, truffle fries? That sounds wonderful.

4. Our Wired Lives
    September 16, 2011 at 11:15 am (3 years ago)

yummmm.. I’m hungry for a burger now. Thanks very much for making me die now with no burgers in the house.

5. Jennifer B
    September 16, 2011 at 11:42 am (3 years ago)

Omgeee I love Burger 21. Justin has good taste… ;) I got the Shroom burger too and LOVED it! Everything there is so delicious! It’s funny you write about it because Mike and I are going Sunday evening. He’s never been and I’m dying to go again. We were going to take advantage of Sunday being 1905 day at the Colombia (did you know this?? you might appreciate it! All their dishes are the cost that they were in 1905…I’m talking $.95 sangria, $1.99 salads!, etc, but apparently, you wait in line for hourrrrssss), but I have to work until 4pm now and I’m just worried it won’t work out. Burger 21 is a nice alternative though!

6. LatteLove
    September 16, 2011 at 11:43 am (3 years ago)

shoe-string sweet potato fries? The burgers had me at hello, but now my mouth is watering…YUM

• Katie
      September 18, 2011 at 11:00 am (3 years ago)

Seriously. I dream of them now. Usually when I’ve had sweet potato fries they’ve been a little mushy…but these were the first ones ever that I’ve had that were actually crisp! Miracle!!!

7. Brandi
    September 16, 2011 at 1:05 pm (3 years ago)

Yum! I’ve never had shoestring sweet potato fries! And all those sauces?! I need to visit Tampa…

• Katie
      September 18, 2011 at 11:00 am (3 years ago)

Come and visit! I’ll take you to get some burgers and fries…and to the beach! ;)

8. Amanda
    September 16, 2011 at 6:24 pm (3 years ago)

Oh my goodness, that sounds and looks AMAZING. Now I’m craving a burger!!

9. The Shoe Diva
    September 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm (3 years ago)

Ok, I’ve not tried this place yet but if pictures are worth a thousand words, I wonder it that converts to calories lol, these look yummy!

• Katie
      September 18, 2011 at 11:02 am (3 years ago)

I sure hope not! I say that if I have a turkey burger, I’m good…right? 100% turkey breast balances out the french fries…right? And…milkshakes = dairy…sooooo that’s healthy….right??? ;)

10. Steph C.
    September 26, 2011 at 8:50 pm (3 years ago)

For a hot second, I was going to say that this place sounds a lot like a place in the DC area called BGR… but with the different dipping sauces and milkshakes, that would be a no. I’m drooling over everything you just mentioned!! As a fellow non-red meat eater, I love places that have a wide variety of proteins to choose from!