March 24, 2011

This recipe brings me back to my childhood. Around Christmas time, my mom would always break out about 100 different cookie recipes, and toffee squares were my absolute favorite.

When we lived in Wisconsin and Michigan, my mom would pack up the completed squares in tins and leave them on the shelf in the garage. Since it was always the middle of winter when she made them, keeping the squares in the garage essentially kept them refrigerated! Even though they don’t need to be stored in the fridge, to this day I still like to keep them cold. Ah, nostalgia…and deliciousness…

Toffee Squares

Pin It

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature

1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed

2 egg yolks

1 tsp vanilla

3 cups flour

1 bag chocolate chips

chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. With a mixer, cream butter and brown sugar over medium speed. Slowly add egg and vanilla.

3. Gradually add flour to mix on medium-low speed. Batter should be thick/stiff.

4. Spread batter evenly in 9×13 inch pan.

5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a light golden brown.

6. Remove bars from oven and sprinkle the bag of chocolate chips evenly over the top. Place pan back in the oven for 2 minutes to melt the chocolate.

7. Remove pan from oven and spread the melted chocolate evenly across the bars. If desired, add chopped walnut pieces. Let cool completely.

8. Using a sharp knife, cut bars into squares.

14 Responses to “A Childhood Favorite: Toffee Squares”

1. Abby says:

Yum…these look really good! :) (And yes, ’tis true…I have used WI weather as a form of refrigeration a time or two. It’s pretty handy, especially when you’re having a party and run out of room for beverages in the refrigerator!)

2. amanda says:

oh these look great! i’m baking my way through a cookbook at the moment but i defiantly want to try this when I’m done that project!! yum!

3. Alice says:

I actually have ALL the mentioned ingredients! Might need to make this one soon. Thanks for sharing!

4. Amy says:

Yum, these look delicious! :)

Two random side notes:
    1) Where in Wisconsin did you live?
    2) Can you do a tutorial on how you get all those great outfit shots? I would love to post a few of my wears but my photos are always in the mirror and end up really crappy.

Thanks!

• Katie says:

Amy – I lived in Wisconsin twice actually! The first time I lived in Waukesha, and the second time I lived in Mequon…both times in Milwaukee area though!

And yes, I was thinking about getting a tutorial set up for the outfit shots…I am still figuring it out myself a bit!!!

5. MM says:

These look awesome. I am confused, though. They don’t have any toffee in them? Why the name?

• Katie says:

MM – that’s a good question! Toffee is made by caramelizing sugar with butter and (sometimes) flour. The ingredients in the bars are similar, so they give that toffee-like flavor!

6. Kate says:

yum! these look fantastic! toffee is a favorite flavor in our house, so i’ll have to give these a whirl!

7. Charmi says:

those look so good! i am obsessed with toffee!

8. What is with all these Wisconsin ladies? I LOVE it! I lived in Wausau for about 10 years as a kid! :)

Those Toffee Squares look AMAZING! I may have to whip up a batch this weekend! :)

9. ps – how do I get a fancy little picture next to my posts?

10. Jessica says:

This sounds SUPER easy. :)

11. Marissa says:

I have ALL the ingredients at home, oh I am so excited – we just ran out of Girl Scout Cookies, I am TOTALLY making these, TONIGHT :) Thank you thank you thank you!