A Childhood Favorite: Toffee Squares

This recipe brings me back to my childhood. Around Christmas time, my mom would always break out about 100 different cookie recipes, and toffee squares were my absolute favorite.

When we lived in Wisconsin and Michigan, my mom would pack up the completed squares in tins and leave them on the shelf in the garage. Since it was always the middle of winter when she made them, keeping the squares in the garage essentially kept them refrigerated! Even though they don’t need to be stored in the fridge, to this day I still like to keep them cold. Ah, nostalgia…and deliciousness…

Toffee Squares

Pin It

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature

1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed

2 egg yolks

1 tsp vanilla

3 cups flour

1 bag chocolate chips

chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. With a mixer, cream butter and brown sugar over medium speed. Slowly add egg and vanilla.

3. Gradually add flour to mix on medium-low speed. Batter should be thick/stiff.

4. Spread batter evenly in 9×13 inch pan.

5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a light golden brown.

6. Remove bars from oven and sprinkle the bag of chocolate chips evenly over the top. Place pan back in the oven for 2 minutes to melt the chocolate.

7. Remove pan from oven and spread the melted chocolate evenly across the bars. If desired, add chopped walnut pieces. Let cool completely.

8. Using a sharp knife, cut bars into squares.

Comments

1. says

Yum…these look really good! :) (And yes, ’tis true…I have used WI weather as a form of refrigeration a time or two. It’s pretty handy, especially when you’re having a party and run out of room for beverages in the refrigerator!)

2. says

oh these look great! i’m baking my way through a cookbook at the moment but i defiantly want to try this when I’m done that project!! yum!

3. says

Yum, these look delicious! :)

Two random side notes:
    1) Where in Wisconsin did you live?
    2) Can you do a tutorial on how you get all those great outfit shots? I would love to post a few of my wears but my photos are always in the mirror and end up really crappy.

Thanks!

• Katie says

Amy – I lived in Wisconsin twice actually! The first time I lived in Waukesha, and the second time I lived in Mequon…both times in Milwaukee area though!

And yes, I was thinking about getting a tutorial set up for the outfit shots…I am still figuring it out myself a bit!!!

• Katie says

MM – that’s a good question! Toffee is made by caramelizing sugar with butter and (sometimes) flour. The ingredients in the bars are similar, so they give that toffee-like flavor!

4. says

I have ALL the ingredients at home, oh I am so excited – we just ran out of Girl Scout Cookies, I am TOTALLY making these, TONIGHT :) Thank you thank you thank you!