Until last month, I had never experienced the amazing-ness that is spaghetti squash. I kept hearing fellow food-loving bloggers rave about this magical squash, but I kept forgetting to look for it when I was at the grocery store.
Then I caved. My first spaghetti squash recipe was met with great enthusiasm by both Justin and myself. And of course, we are now hooked. Spaghetti squash in some shape or form is quickly becoming a staple in our weekly dinner menu.
***Update: if you’re looking for another tasty spaghetti squash recipe, make sure to check out my spaghetti squash gratins!***
This spaghetti squash recipe includes some sundried tomatoes…
…fresh broccoli, peas, and sliced grilled chicken…
1 medium size spaghetti squash (about 2lb)
1/3 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen peas
1 broccoli crown, chopped
2 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
grated parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)
salt/pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. With a sharp knife, carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scrape/remove seeds with a spoon. Place squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet; bake for 45 minutes. Let squash cool.
***Side note: if you’re looking for an even easier way to cook the squash, check out my instructions here***
3. Using a fork, scrape the inside of the squash to remove strands.
4. In a large, deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic. Saute one minute, then add spaghetti squash and saute an additional 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth, sundried tomatoes, and broccoli. Saute 5 minutes.
6. Add peas, grilled chicken, and remaining 3/4 cup chicken broth. Shake about 1/4 cup parmesan cheese into mixture (just enough to thicken the chicken broth).
7. Reduce heat to medium-ow. Cover skillet and simmer for about 3 minutes.
8. Serve with fresh shaved parmesan cheese.
This recipe is also wonderful with pasta instead of spaghetti squash. Simply saute all of the vegetable/chicken ingredients in your skillet, then toss with the chicken broth, parmesan, and fresh pasta.